You can ask a manager a question one way and they’ll say ‘no’. Ask the same question with a subtle difference and they will say ‘yes’, so what’s the difference and why would you get a different response?
At Vital Minds Business Training our highly participative Influencing and Persuasion workshops use elements of NLP and MBTI™ to give you the tools you need to be more influential and persuasive when interacting individually or in a group setting.
Subtly different to negotiation where coming to an agreement in scenarios where there is a conflict of interest, persuasion allows you to win the other person or group over and removing the stumbling blocks the perceived conflict of interest created. Both negotiation and persuasion are vital business skills, but those skilled in persuasion can often negate the need for negotiation.
Our workshops focus on a number of key issues, including –
- Determining your natural persuasion style
- Where does persuasion stop and aggression begin?
- What is the culture of communication in your business?
- How do you get people to say ‘yes’
- Improving outbound messaging and intra-company interaction
- Identifying the underlying factors that influence the decisions in others
- Self-awareness and Emotional Intelligence
- Talking to specific audiences
We also look at Dr. Robert Cialdini’s Six Principles of Influence. Dr Cialdini is Regent’s Professor Emeritus at Arizona State University and his books have sold millions of copies in 26 languages –
- Reciprocation –I give you something, you will want to give me something in return
- Social Proof – When uncertainty ensues, people look to their peer groups for actions
- Commitment & Consistency – People don’t like to back out of deals or agreements
- Liking – People prefer to say ‘yes’ to those they know, trust and like
- Authority – People want to follow the lead of experts with credibility
- Scarcity – Basic economics, the less there is of something, the more people want it
Persuasion and influencing skills can be strong predictors of employee performance and research has shown that those with strong social skills in these areas can command higher salaries and advanced positions in the corporate hierarchy.
For more information on our Influencing & Persuasion workshops and to discuss availability and booking, please contact us today.