Gender inequality at board level is an age-old issue that shows no signs of going away. The figure varies week to week, but only around 15% of FTSE 100 board directorships are held by women and almost 50% of companies listed on the FTSE All Share Index have no women on their boards.
At Vital Minds Business Training, we work with senior women whose needs aren’t any different to men when it comes to stepping up a level but whose contexts are different. With far fewer role models and a glass ceiling in place, there is, however plenty of evidence to suggest that women excel in senior management and board-level positions and we will look at the barriers to acceptance and how woman can be successful in the face of perceived adversity.
In a series of workshops as well as one-on-one coaching sessions using elements of NLP, we will look at a number of elements –
- Developing new skills
- Managing workplace relationships
- Increasing effectiveness, confidence and resilience
- Moving away from blaming ‘sexism’ and an ‘old boy’s network’
- Looking at challenges as opportunities
- Evaluating trail-blazing women in business
- Overcoming challenges to realise ambition
- Displaying a single-minded attitude towards your goals
- Looking at parity versus diversity
- Concerns regarding sexual harassment and sexual discrimination
For centuries, the female labour market at all levels of corporate hierarchy has been segregated by sex and according to Ann Morrison, author of ‘Breaking the Glass Ceiling’ and world-renowned expert on gender and diversity issues, ‘the glass ceiling isn’t simply a barrier for an individual based on the person’s inability to handle a high-level job, it applies to women as a group who are kept from advancing because they are women.’
The average CEO of leading British companies is a 53-year old male with a background in finance. It’s our goal, collectively and individually to re-examine what ‘average’ means.
For more information on our Board Level Women workshops and one-on-one coaching sessions and to discuss availability and booking, please contact us today.